Moonlight and Roses
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Exterior Lighting and other Lighting topics.
Lamps Plus Tip: Outdoor lights for the garden uses landscape lights to highlight the special features of a garden, border or flower bed. A few basic principles:
- Use low levels of lighting for flowers and shrubs so that delicate colors don't get lost.
- Evergreens and winter borders can take somewhat stronger lighting to showcase their features against a snowy background.
- Light flowers from above. If you can, "moonlight" them from a tree above; if not, use a pergola, beam or post.
- If a plant or shrub relies on leaf shape for its appeal, a dramatic effect can be achieved by lighting it from below.
- Resist the temptation to use blue or green outdoor lights in gardens -- they'll just make your plants look fake. White is always safe.
Nobody has commented on this tip yet. Be the first.