Test Your Emergency Lighting System
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Emergency Lighting and other Lighting topics.
How often should emergency lighting be tested?
Emergency lighting in commercial and government buildings must be tested monthly according to the National Life Safety Code. In addition, electrical codes require inspection of emergency lighting equipment at least once a year.
At a monthly test, you should:
- Press the test button for 30 seconds to test the battery and light
- Check each light to be sure it is not damaged, and that the beams are properly aimed
- Change bulbs or repair wiring if needed
At the annual test, you should:
- Disconnect AC power supply to each unit to be sure it is working properly
- Check battery and lens for corrosion
- Clean unit and lens
- Adjust beam for correct alignment
- Check battery voltage output and change batteries if needed